St Lukes Oval: The New Home of the GIANTS
The Concord GIANTS start a new chapter in the life of the Club, with the move to an amazing new green space – St Lukes Oval at Concord – in Season 2017.
While Goddard Oval has been our home since our beginnings, our Club has grown and this new opportunity will allow us to spread our wings even further.
St Lukes is located on Crane St, Concord directly adjacent to Cintra Netball Courts, and involves significant investment of $3m+ over 3–5 years. While it will primarily be a home for the Concord GIANTS, we will share the amenities with our youth Club, the Canada Bay Cannons, and our Cannons’ alliance partner, Drummoyne Power.
The initial federal Government funding allocation of $500,000 was announced at Goddard Oval in June 2016 by the Member for Reid, Hon Craig Laundy MP.
Sports Minister Stuart Ayres and the Member for Drummoyne John Sidoti MP announced a further $200,000 in state government funds in September 2016. The AFL NSW/ACT will provide an additional six figure allocation towards the upgrade, with further funding from the City of Canada Bay and the three junior footy clubs.
We have inherited winter access from Rugby who will take possession of St Lukes North and South ovals. Little athletics and cricket will have summer access to our new facility.
The Council has already made significant upgrades to parking with an additional 150 spaces released in August 2016.
Stage One of the project:
- Improve grass coverage and overall field quality
- Install AFL posts
Upgrade field lighting infrastructure to 200 Lux (sufficient to allow junior night games at the oval) and future prooofing footings and poles
- Renovate the amenities block including new toilets, change-rooms, canteen area, and storage areas
- Install large LED scoreboard on north-eastern wing
Stage Two depends on us gaining the expected $3+m funding from federal, state and local governments and could include:
- Major upgrades to field surface and widening of the ground and new fencing.
- Further significant improvements to amenities block including upstairs club room, ground management area, ramp access, additional change-rooms, kitchen servery and viewing deck.